Wednesday, 7 November 2007

Wednesday - 071107

It is pouring down outside, although it does seem to be fairing up, so I have some time to relate the events of Wednesday.

They ended with a show at the Sydney Opera House. Kiki and Herb - one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. There is a man with a piano and a man in drag - she is an aging has-been and is very Joan Rivers in her observations. As the show goes on the more tipsy and biting Kiki becomes. 'I say: 'if you haven't been molested as a kid, you must have been damn ugly.'' They did a whole skit on Jesus which was hilarious. Apparently, Kiki and Mary Magdalene were at the crucifixion demanding that the Romans 'leave him be' - this said with the tone of a black woman! Too funny! There was a long tirade about Jonbenet Ramsay which was very naughty.

They opened the second act with a cover of Dame Shirley's 'The Rhythm Divine' and ended the show with an audience singalong of their own 'The C*nts still rule the world'! Marvellous! The encore was 'The Cancer Medley': 'La, la, la, la, la, la - can't get you out of my head'. As Kiki said: 'you can't keep a good showgirl down'. True!

Anyway, the day had started with a tour of the Botanic Gardens. These were much bigger than I thought they would be.

I also visited Government House, which reminded me of Balmoral. I was not able to go on a tour of the House but I did have a wander round the grounds.

The following conversation between a pensioner woman and myself took place.

Woman: 'D-O Y-O-U W-A-N-T Y-O-U-R P-H-O-T-O-G-R-A-P-H T-A-K-I-N-G?'

Me: 'Yes, please.'

Woman: 'Oh, I thought you were foreign.'

Me: 'I am.'

Woman: 'You're from the North of England. I'm from Windsor.'

It transpires she and her husband ('he's the expert on classic cars, I'm the expert on flowers') are visiting relatives in Sydney. They are in Australia for three weeks and are travelling to Melbourne next week. Here's hoping I don't bump into them again...

Eventually, to the swimming baths. Another Olympic size pool! I really knew I had been swimming after an hour of it! I learnt later that it has only just reopened after being closed on hygeine grounds for a while. So if I don't blog in a couple of days, you'll know why!

Today (Thursday), I want to go to the art deco swimming pool on the north side of the harbour but as it is open air I shalln't be doing so unless the weather improves drastically.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next you must discover an Australian Kitty!