Gud Mourning!
First things first, I don't know if I am going to have much time now to upload pictures, so, if not, I shall do so when I get back to England.
Thursday the weather continued uncertain but I decided to go to the North Sydney Olympic Pool anyway just to see it, if not swim in it. I took the ferry from Circular Quay to Milson's Point. By the time I reached the other side of the Harbour, the Sun had come out so I did go swimming. I feared the water would be freezing but it was surprisingly warm so it had to be heated. The pool was opened in 1936 and is art deco in style. It looks a bit tired now but must have been wonderful in its heyday. It is just under the Sydney Harbour Bridge so the views are marvellous! Apparently, more records have been broken in this pool than any other pool in the world.
Yet again, it is 50 metres in length. About half way down the length of the pool, the depth begins to drop dramatically until at the deep end the depth reaches just short of 4 metres. It was a bit much being outswam by a female pensioner and two young kids but there we are.
Anyway, I am minding my own business at the end of the one of the lanes when a man gets into the next lane and starts talking to me.
Man: 'Is it heated?'
Me: 'It must be.'
Man: 'Where are you from?'
Me: 'I grew up in Yorkshire but I live in London.'
Man: 'I grew up in Tunbridge Wells. I came out here 36 years ago when I was 20. I was a ten pound Pom and I now live in Balmain [a suburb overlooking the Harbour]. And I'm a bricklayer.'
Me: 'This is an amazing place.'
Man: 'It is paradise. I go back to England and can't wait to get back here. There is an undercurrent of thuggery in London. And there are too many blacks. There are too many of everything in London.'
I guess that told me.
Back on the south side of the Harbour, I walked back to the flat. I decided that Thursday night was the night I would walk round Sydney when it was dark to see the buildings lit up. Sadly, the pictures I have taken with my camera are not very good. This is especially sad as it was the naming ceremony of the 'Pacific Dawn' - a huge P&O cruise liner which is berthed at Circular Quay. There was an amazing light show on one side of the boat and fireworks! Yes, I have seen fireworks in Sydney Harbour - and it is not even New Year's Eve!
Today (Friday), I am catching the ferry to Manly. Hopefully, the weather will improve enough for me to go in the sea. This evening, there is a Kylie night at a local hostelry to celebrate the imminent release of her new single. Tomorrow will probably be spent recovering from that. I had better be fully recovered for the evening as we are going for a meal.
It is most seriously displeasing to think that this time next week, I shall be preparing to return to the United Kingdom.
Thursday, 8 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment