Monday, 5 November 2007

Tuesday - 061107

Shalom!

It is Melbourne Cup day. For those, like myself, who have no knowledge and less interest in such matters, the Melbourne Cup is a racing fixture. It is billed as 'bringing the nation to a halt'. It is a public holiday in the state of Victoria but not here. Nevertheless, lots of companies let their employees have the afternoon off - cue lots of tipsy, glammed up Aussies parading about the city. Most of the women I saw were sporting hats. Very Ascot!

To quote Mr Arkwright, it has been a funny old day. It has rained on and off for the greater part of it and the sun has only been out occasionally. There was a beautiful rainbow this morning and may be another any time given the conditions outside.

I visited the Jewish Museum (details: http://www.sydneyjewishmuseum.com.au/) - hence the opening salutation. I spent a couple of hours having a look round. It was very moving - especially the children memorial. It has a million and a half drops of water to commemorate the million and a half children who perished in the Shoah and is made with stone from Jerusalem.

I took lunch at 'Gloria Jeans'. This is the Australian equivalent of Starbucks.

Then it was to St Mary's Cathedral again - this time to see the crypt with its fantastic mosaic flooring. Pictures above.

Given the amount of water that has fallen today I have photographed quite a few water features so if you are on the verge of a scatalogical incident don't look above!

I have managed to book a ticket to see 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert: The Musical' next week in Melbourne. The Regent Theatre is just round the corner from the hotel where we shall be staying. In honour of this booking, I bought the cast recording and managed to do so with my credit card. It would seem HSBC have taken note.

Lyla tov.

No comments: